Spotlight: Soft and Stable
Why use ByAnnie's Soft and Stable?
Annie created Soft and Stable to use as an alternative to batting or other interfacings. She was looking for something that would hold the shape of the bag, giving a professional looking finish without being too stiff or making the bag too heavy.
Take a look at these two bags. The one on the left, made with Soft and Stable, holds it's shape beautifully and stands up tall, even with the heavier handles. The bag on the right, made with batting, looks like a floppy mess!
Is Soft and Stable easy to use for my projects?
Soft and Stable is really easy to sew through and you don't need a special machine to use it in your projects.
It was designed with a slightly textured surface so your fabric won't slip around when you're sewing through the layers. This means you don't have to quilt the fabric (unless you want to) like you would have to with traditional batting.
For all your projects, we recommend using a #90/14 Topstitch Needle and we love using SoFine #50 polyester thread. ByAnnie's Stiletto and Pressing Tool is also so handy for walking the layers through your machine!
Read more about what Annie and the ByAnnie team use for their projects in our Favorite Tools, Thread, and Machine Maintenance blogs!
Is it durable for use over time?
ByAnnie's Soft and Stable is a 100% polyester foam that can be easily machine washed and dried.
Because of its stability, the foam bounces back into shape even after being folded or squished down.
If any wrinkles appear, just iron it with medium heat.
What sizes are available?
All pieces of ByAnnie's Soft and Stable are approximately .175" thick and come in these pre-packaged sizes (in white or black):
As we are cutting the pieces for the packages above, we end up with a wide variety of odd-shaped pieces or pieces with minor blemishes. The Soft and Stable is still perfectly usable and would be great for small projects. We sell these pieces in assortment boxes in 3 different sizes:
- Small: Contains over 2 yards of assorted black and white pieces of Soft and Stable.
- Medium: Contains over 6 yards of assorted black and white pieces of Soft and Stable.
- Large: Contains over 9 yards of assorted black and white pieces of Soft and Stable.
Both colors of Soft and Stable are also available in 15 yard rolls.
Project Ideas for 18" x 58"
- Ditty Bags: Pretty and practical, these zippered bags in 3 sizes are perfect for storing toiletries, makeup, sewing supplies and more!
- Clam Up: Easy and fun to make, these bags in 5 sizes are a great option for storing and organizing a variety of things. With the option to add an iron-on vinyl laminate (such as Slicker) to the inside, you've got even more possibilities!
- Catch All Caddy: A sturdy, over-sized caddy with lots of easy-to-access slip pockets and dividers makes organization a breeze.
Project Ideas for 36" x 58"
- Contain Yourself: These soft-sided bins are a great way sort, store and organize your life in a completely customizable way!
- Running With Scissors: Designed in collaboration with popular fabric designer, Tula Pink, this is a handy zip-up case to store and carry a variety of tools.
- A Place for Everything: A spacious organizer with lots of zippered pockets allows you to hold everything you need, from sewing machine feet to tools and beyond!
Project Ideas for 72" x 58"
- Travel Duffle Bag 2.0: Big and sturdy enough for all your adventures, this is a bag you can enjoy for trips anywhere in the world.
- Going Places: Keep your clothes and accessories travel-ready with this convenient, stylish garment bag.
- Ruler Wrap: Organizers in two different sizes may be hung or folded for travel. Each allows you to store and carry an 18" x 24" mat, and plenty of your precious rulers and tools for your projects.
Does it matter which color I use?
Both the black and the white Soft and Stable are great choices for your projects. Once covered with fabric there is only a slight difference between the two (as you may or may not notice in the picture to the right).
We suggest using white Soft and Stable when you're working with lighter fabrics, or when you want to let bright colors pop.
Black Soft and Stable is good to use with darker fabrics or in instances where you want to keep colors deep and patterns bold.
Can I use it for anything else?
It's time to think outside the box (or bag, tote, caddy or duffle)! We love thinking of new and unique ways to use Soft and Stable.
- Provides stability in wearables, like our Sun Visors or in the waistband of our Easy Ruffles Aprons.
- Turn an ordinary notebook, binder or planner into a plush accessory by making our Mini Notebook Cover or The Write Stuff.
- Use in home decor to create custom placemats, table runners, or a coordinated kitchen set.
- Create dramatic costumes for Cosplay or Halloween, like Evan C. did! (See more on Instagram: @cannoncreations)
Tell us what you think!
What are your favorite uses for ByAnnie's Soft and Stable? Do you keep some on hand so you're always ready to sew? Do you have a unique use not listed above? We'd love to know!
Be sure to comment below, or submit your projects made with Soft and Stable to our Monthly Photo Contest!